Virtual Reality (VR) has exploded in popularity in recent years, and its potential in education is enormous. VR can transport students to different places and times, provide immersive experiences that promote active learning, and give every child a level playing field when accessing educational content.
There are already numerous fantastic VR apps for kids available, but with new ones released all the time, it can be hard to know where to start. This blog post will help you find the best VR apps so you can start using this exciting technology in your classroom or at home today.
VR Apps for Kids Are Growing in Popularity
VR apps are quickly growing in popularity for kids. In 2020, VR education took off as children across the nation adapted to learning from home. As a result, schools and districts began investing in VR headsets and apps to provide students with engaging, immersive content.
At the same time, parents and homeschool educators were looking for ways to keep their kids entertained and engaged while stuck at home. Many turned to VR as a solution, with sales of VR headsets for kids growing significantly.
This year, the industry pushed out 14.9 million AR/VR headset shipments, which will increase by over 25% by 2023.
Here are some of the ways that children use VR apps:
- Entertainment: Children can access educational experiences through VR. When children use VR applications, they are often so engaged that they don’t even realize they are learning. This can make education more fun and enjoyable for kids (and more manageable for teachers).
- Gaming: Games were one of the first uses of VR and are quickly becoming one of the most popular. They provide an immersive experience that can transport players to different worlds. In addition, many kids use VR games to socialize and interact with friends virtually.
- Interactive Storytelling: VR tells stories in a completely new way. Educators can use VR experiences to teach empathy, social skills, and other social emotional learning skills.
- Education: VR can provide an immersive and interactive learning experience for kids. Educators can use VR to teach everything from science and history to math and reading.
- Education for Diverse Learners: VR can level the playing field for children with diverse learning needs. Game designers have created some apps specifically to help with sensory processing, social skills, fine motor skills, etc.
What Makes VR Apps Good Learning Tools?
Virtual reality is an asset in education because it can provide an immersive and safe learning environment for all students. In addition, it’s a great way to engage kids in active learning, where they are actively participating in the content rather than passively watching or listening.
Children can use VR apps to inquire and explore
There are few places children can’t go with VR. They can visit the bottom of the ocean, the top of a mountain, or even outer space. This can help kids learn about geographical features, plant and animal life, solar systems, and even human bodies.
When it comes to learning about other cultures, VR can be a powerful tool. It can help children visualize foreign concepts, making the learning experience more intimate and personal.
VR can help children with diverse learning needs
Virtual reality can be a level playing field for children with diverse learning needs. Some apps are specifically designed to help with sensory processing, social skills, fine motor skills, and basic life training. VR provides an immersive and non-threatening environment where these children can explore and learn at their own pace.
Through virtual reality, students can learn:
- Mobility skills (navigation within public places)
- Purchasing skills (buying groceries and other items)
- Social skills (interacting with employees, personnel, and strangers)
- Safety skills (recognizing danger)
- Community literacy skills (understanding brand/product names)
VR can help people practice real-world skills in a safe environment to become more independent.
Virtual reality makes it easier for teachers to explain foreign concepts
With VR, children can get an up-close look at things that they would never be able to see in real life. This includes microscopic organisms, the inside of a volcano, or what it’s like to be in zero gravity.
Educators can also use VR to take children on virtual field trips. Thanks to the metaverse, kids can visit ancient ruins, experience different parts of the world, and even take a tour of a working factory. These trips aren't limited by travel expenses or time.
When children use VR, they become engaged and active learners
Active listening is a critical component of learning, but it can be difficult for some children to pay attention for long periods of time. VR can help with this by holding children’s attention and keeping them engaged.
Since the metaverse is much more than just words on a book page, children are more likely to pay attention and participate in VR lessons. They can also review the material as many times as they need to, which is an important part of active learning. These factors will help children retain valuable information more often.
Are VR Apps Safe for Children?
Yes, VR is safe for children when used in moderation. There are developmental benefits to VR curriculum, including:
- Improved cognition
- Better problem solving skills
- Increased memory
- Spatial reasoning
Additionally, VR is non-invasive and can be used for a wide variety of educational purposes.
Choosing The Best VR Apps for Kids in 2022
When it comes to VR applications for your classroom, there are many factors to consider. Here are some things you should look for when choosing the best VR apps for kids this year:
- Appropriate classroom content
- Interactive, intuitive apps
- User-friendly interfaces
- Glowing reviews
- Opportunities for professional development
We’ll explore them below.
Appropriate Content for the Classroom
If you’re looking for VR apps for younger children, you’ll want to ensure the content is appropriate. Appropriate content aligns with:
- The curriculum you teach your class
- The complexity of the subject matter
- The development stage of your students
If you’re teaching a fifth-grade class about the basics of anatomy, for example, featuring a virtual field trip through the human body is a great way to get your students interested. However, an eighth-grade class would benefit from our CRISPR virtual experience, which involves in-depth concepts about science, biology, and genetics.
Interactive and Intuitive
The best VR apps are interactive and intuitive. They should be easy for children to use and navigate. The best VR apps will also have a variety of features, such as:
- Virtual Reality Environments: These environments should be realistic and engaging. They should also teach children specific concepts from your lesson plans.
- Objects: The best VR apps will have objects children can interact with. These objects should be relevant to the lesson and easy to understand.
- Characters: High-quality VR apps will have characters that children can relate to. These characters should be age-appropriate and engaging.
- Scenarios: The best VR apps will have realistic and relevant scenarios to the lesson. As the educator, you should be able to tie these scenarios into your lesson plan.
The best VR apps have a user-friendly interface. This means that children should be able to use the app without difficulty. The best VR apps also have:
- Simple Navigation: Children should be able to find their way around the app easily.
- Helpful Instructions: The best VR apps have instructions that are clear and easy to follow.
- Intuitive Controls: Children should be able to use the app without difficulty.
When looking for the best VR apps for kids, it’s important to read reviews. Positive reviews can tell you a lot about an app. For example, they can tell you whether or not the app is easy to use, relevant to the lesson, and engaging for children.
Professional Development for Educators
As an educator, it’s important to keep up with the latest trends in education. Especially with such new technology, access to professional development is key to successfully using VR apps in the classroom. The best VR apps will offer:
- Tutorials: These tutorials should be easy to follow and relevant to the app.
- Tips: Tips should help you get the most out of the app.
- How-To Guides: How-to guides should be specific to the app and easy to understand.
Why Kai XR is the One of the Best VR Apps for Children
Kai XR is an amazing VR app for children because our cutting-edge technology offers a variety of immersive experiences. From educational games to virtual field trips, kids will never be bored.
Whether children learn at home or at school, Kai XR's diverse metaverse curriculum has you covered. You can be confident that students will get the best possible education with Kai XR.
Here are some of our favorite virtual field trips:
Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night
This virtual field trip transports you to the time and place of one of Vincent Van Gogh's most famous paintings - Starry Night. You'll explore the night sky, learn about constellations, and even meet the artist himself.
Kai XR's Starry Night course is a great way to give your students a glimpse into art history. They'll be able to see the painting come to life and learn about the artist and his process.
Explore an Asteroid
This virtual field trip takes you to an asteroid in our solar system. You'll be able to see what it's made of, how it was formed, and even take a walk on its surface.
This is a great way to show your class astronomy and the solar system. They'll be amazed by the sights and sounds of space and learn about the different planets and asteroids.
Chichén-Itzá is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Mexico. In this metaverse trip, you'll be able to explore the ancient Mayan ruins and learn about the culture and history.
If you want to introduce children to history and different cultures this is the way to do it. They'll be able to see the ruins up close and learn about the Mayan people.
Visit the Egyptian Pyramids
The only remaining wonder of the ancient world, The Egyptian pyramids are some of the most iconic buildings in the world. In this virtual field trip, you'll be able to explore the inside of the pyramids.
Egyptian history is an integral part of the world's history. In this trip, students will be able to learn about the pyramids, the people who built them, and what life was like in ancient Egypt.
CRISPR Science Field Trip
CRISPR is a cutting-edge technology that is changing the world of science. In this virtual field trip, you'll be able to explore how CRISPR works and see its potential applications.
This virtual field trip introduces children to biology and genetics. They'll be able to visualize how CRISPR works and its potential implications for the future.
Human Body Field Trip
Rather than learning about the human body from a textbook, kids can now explore it firsthand with this virtual field trip. They'll be able to see how the different systems work together and learn about their functions.
Human anatomy can be complicated at first, which is why Kai XR is so helpful. Students will be able to see how the body works and learn about its different systems.
Tips for School Teachers and Educators
If you're a parent or educator, you may be wondering how to best use VR in the classroom. Here are some tips:
1. Use VR for supplemental learning: If you're looking for a way to supplement your class’ learning, VR is a fantastic option. There are a variety of apps and experiences that can supplement what children learn in school.
2. Take kids on field trips in the metaverse: Field trips are a great way to learn about different places and cultures. With VR, time, location, and cost are no longer variables that impact students’ ability to see new things. You can plan a virtual field trip to anywhere in the world, right from your classroom.
3. Help your students visualize scientific concepts: Science can be challenging to understand without seeing it firsthand. VR can help students visualize complex scientific concepts and see how they work in the real world.
4. Use VR to explore different careers: With VR, children have the ability to explore different subjects and parts of the world. Use this opportunity to explain concepts more deeply and help them uncover their passions.
5. Encourage children to be creative: Kai XR and other VR apps for kids allow children to be creative and express themselves. Encourage them to explore different apps and find their favorite.
Want to get started with this unique and immersive experience? Get started here.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best VR apps for kids?
There are a variety of great VR apps for kids, depending on what they're interested in. Some popular options include:
- Field trips to different places around the world
- Lessons on space and the solar system
- Lessons on the human body
Why are VR apps for kids so valuable?
VR apps for kids are so valuable because they provide an immersive and interactive learning experience. Children can learn about a variety of topics, including history, science, and geography. VR apps also help children to develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities.
How can I use VR in the classroom?
VR can be a great tool for supplemental learning in the classroom. There are a variety of VR apps that can accompany students learning in school. This is not the only source of curriculum and should be used in moderation. You can also use VR to take kids on virtual field trips around the world.
Additionally, VR is an asset that can help you explain topics more deeply and help children uncover their passions at an early age.
The Bottom Line on VR Apps for Kids
When it comes to choosing the best VR app for kids, Kai XR is the top choice. We provide an immersive and interactive learning experience that can supplement curriculum children learn in school. With VR, you can also take students on virtual field trips to different places worldwide.
Through the power of virtual reality and the metaverse, teachers can now educate children in a more interactive, creative, and fun way than ever before. With VR apps like Kai XR, the future of education is looking very bright.
Whether you are a small household or a large classroom, Kai XR has a VR education package for you!
Featured Photo by Helena Lopes